Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Happy Fourth Birthday, Sweet Ian!

You. Are. Four. Wow.
Throughout this past year you have shown such fortitude and courage sweet little boy. It wasn't easy watching your mommy lose her hair and your daddy look worried. You started a new pre-school. Everything was new and different and upside down.
Little by little, the sun came out through the clouds. You learned how to negotiate with other kids and made up new games to play. You found some good friends... superheroes and multiple Buzz Lightyears running up and down the hills of your magical school, where colored tape and paper swords prevail.
You wondered why your Dede had to die and why people get sick. These are not easy things for adults to handle, let a alone a three-year old. You said, "I'm not worried. You don't have to say that," and a part of me relaxed a little inside. You've made it through intact, thank god.
People describe you as a happy boy-- a character. Your laugh and your wonder is infectious.
I get to watch you grow and for this I am so grateful. On the way to school today, (a work day at the school for me and a favorite day for you) you said, "I love you, Mommy." We were running late (as usual), but those words always calm me. I replied, "I love you, so, so much, Ian." You said, "More than flowers?" "More than anything," I replied.
Later at the school, I heard you outside:

"Alyssa, Alyssa, ALYSSA!!!"
"Yes, Ian?"
"My mommy loves me more than ANYTHING."

And it's for that, little guy, that I am so glad to have this day with you.

Love,

Mom

No comments: